Criminal Justice Programs in Sacramento
One of the most vital jobs in society involves keeping people safe and upholding the integrity of the justice system. This includes everything from the streets to the prison system of Sacramento. If you’ve ever envisioned yourself as a public hero, consider a career in Criminal Justice.
In Sacramento, one of the most prominent Criminal Justice institutions is the Sacramento Police Department. They have multiple offices serving the entire city, as well as individual offices devoted to Homeland Security, the Drive Safe Initiative, and the Citizens Academy.
No matter what type of Criminal Justice career you want to pursue, it all starts with a degree in the field. There are many schools located in and around Sacramento that you can attend. Check out our comprehensive list of schools and contact the schools from which you want information.
Once you get to school, you can save money by using public transit. You can rely on Sacramento Regional Transit District. They provide bus and light rail service on a daily basis, and they even have monthly passes that can save you money if you travel a lot. Your education may take you all over the city, so take advantage of public transit.
Criminal Justice Schools in Other Major California Cities
Criminal Justice Education in Sacramento
Selecting a school is an exciting part of your new career! You have to decide early on which degree is the right choice for you. There are two main places to start: a two-year Associate’s Degree or a four-year Bachelor’s Degree. You may want to meet with advisors at different schools to evaluate your options. Be sure to also ask about tuition and financial aid, as they differ from school to school. For example, tuition at Sacramento State is $3,174 per semester.
You can plan on gaining a wealth of knowledge as a Criminal Justice student, since the curriculum is designed to prepare you for a career in any part of the field. You may take courses in subjects like policing procedures, correctional procedures, courtroom procedures, and criminal law. These classes involve a blend of traditional lecture education and hands-on education that gives you experience necessary to move into the real world of Criminal Justice.
Taking your education outside of the classroom can help you gain a deeper understanding of the field. In Sacramento, there are a myriad Criminal justice organizations that accept student members. Look into joining groups like the Sacramento Valley Paralegal Association, the Sacramento Police Officers Association, and the California Association of Licensed Investigators.
Job Outlook for Criminal Justice Graduates in Sacramento
Starting your career can be one of the most exciting parts of your life after you graduate from school. This field is multifaceted, but your career options may be limited by what courses you took and if you completed an internship.
An Associate’s Degree can put you at the front of the line for many different entry-level positions. These positions often offer upward growth. Look into these popular careers, listed here with their average salaries:
- Security Guard: $25,770 per year (BLS, 2012)
- Correctional Officer: $71,900 per year (BLS, 2012)
- Bailiff: $55,230 per year (BLS, 2012)
If you have a Bachelor’s Degree, you can still pursue the careers listed above. However, you may also be eligible for higher-ranking careers. These are some of the most popular careers for Bachelor’s Degree holders:
- Correctional Officer Supervisor: $92,670 per year (BLS, 2012)
- Detective: $79,140 per year (BLS, 2012)
- FBI Agent: $43,441 per year (FBI, 2014)
You may also look into becoming part of the Sacramento Police Department. When you are studying in the Academy, you can earn a salary of $3,336 per month. Once you become a sworn police officer, you can earn a higher salary of $4,200 to $5,856 per month.
- District of Columbia
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Puerto Rico
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
- Associate of Arts - Legal Assisting
- Certificate - Law Office Assistant
- Certificate - Legal Assisting
- Bachelor of Science - Biology (Forensic Biology concentration)
- Bachelor of Science - Chemistry (Forensic Chemistry concentration)
- Bachelor of Science - Criminal Justice
- Master of Science - Criminal Justice
- Certificate - Court Reporting
- Associate Degree - Paralegal
- Certificate - Paralegal(online)
- Diploma - Legal Administrative Assistant
- Associate in Arts/Associate in Science - Administration of Justice
- Associate in Science - Correctional Services
- Associate in Science - Police Services
- Associate in Science - Private Security Services Management
- Career Certificate - Administration of Justice
- Career Certificate - Private Security Services Management
- Certificate of Achievement - Correctional Services
- Certificate of Achievement - Police Services