Why Should I Get a Criminal Justice Certificate in Tennessee?
If you're comparing different criminal justice degree programs and looking for the right option for your career goals, a certificate may offer the flexibility and highly focused training you need. This type of program allows you to build the skills you need for an entry-level career, and if you decide to further your education in the future, you may be able to transfer your credits to an accredited institution.
Tennessee is in the middle of reforming its handling of drug cases, due to large federal grants meant to help the state develop drug courts that favor treatment over incarceration (Knoxville News, 2016).
No matter which criminal justice setting you see yourself working in, get your foot in the door now by expanding your education.
Contact criminal justice certificate programs in Tennessee today to start.
What Kind of Criminal Justice Certificates are Available in Tennessee?
While learning about different criminal justice certificate programs, you may want to think about which job title you want to work for after graduation. While you may earn a general criminal justice certificate that covers many aspects of this field, you can also select an option that is designed for a specific career path.
Law Enforcement Technical Certificate Requirements (27 credits)
- Criminal Investigation
- Discover how law enforcement officers contribute to criminal investigation procedures and what duties you may have in the investigation of a crime.
- Basic Firearms Education
- By studying theory and getting practical experience, build an understanding of the proper use and handling of firearms.
- Physical Defense Tactics
- This course helps you develop techniques that you can use to defend yourself when threatened. These courses may focus on using as little force as possible on suspects.
- Basic Law Enforcement Procedures
- In this class, learn about some of the most common law enforcement procedures in Tennessee and how to carry them out legally and efficiently.
Criminal Justice Technical Certificate Requirements (30 credits)
- Juvenile Justice
- Students in this course learn about the field of juvenile justice, which has many core differences that set it apart from adult criminal justice.
- The field of criminology looks at why people commit crime, which socio-economic factors contribute to crime rates, and how crime rates may be decreased through policy and education.
- Criminal Law
- Criminal law is one of the most important aspects of justice, and in this class, you learn about some of the most commonly cited statutes and laws in Tennessee.
- Mental Health Aspects of Criminal Behavior
- Explore the correlation between mental illness and criminal behavior. Instructors cover current research and how this problem is being addressed throughout the country.
What Can I Do With a Criminal Justice Certificate in Tennessee?
It's important to get hands-on experience while earning your certificate in criminal justice, since practical experience can help you build relationships with local employers and figure out which work setting is best for you. However, your choice of degree also influences which career paths are available to you.
You may work for a city or county police department if you become a police officer. By the year 2024, O*Net expects job openings for police officers to increase 11% in Tennessee (2016). Statewide, the average annual salary for a police officer is $43,090 (Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2016).
Security guards are employed in many different settings, from private homes to businesses and entertainment venues. Tennessee's demand for security guards may jump an impressive 23% through 2024 (O*Net, 2016). On average, security guards earn $26,020 annually (BLS, 2016).
If your education covers courtroom procedures and standards, you may find your calling as a bailiff. In Tennessee, the average salary for a bailiff is $30,620 per year (BLS, 2016). Job openings may swell 11% between 2014 and 2024 (O*Net, 2016).
If you're excited about career opportunities in criminal justice, don't wait any longer.
Get in touch with criminal justice programs in Tennessee to find out more.
Online programs may not be available in all areas
Featured Schools Accepting Students from Across the US:
Online programs may not be available in all areas
Certificate in Computer Forensics
Certificate in Cyber Crime and Fraud Investigation
Certificate in Cyber Network Defense
Certificate in Cyber Operations
Certificate in Cyber Policy
Certificate in Cybersecurity Technologies
Certificate in Financial Crime and Compliance Operations
Certificate in Financial Crime Investigation
Certificate in Monitoring, Surveillance, and Intelligence Operations
Traditional On Campus Programs:
Certificate - Criminal Justice, Diploma - Criminal Justice
Diploma - Criminal Justice
Certificate - Police Science Academy
CERT Investigation and Security , CERT Investigation and Security, CERT Paralegal (Post-Degree)
Technical Certificate - Law Enforcement/Criminal Justice
Technical Certificate - Basic Law Enforcement Officer Academy