Why Should I Get a Criminal Justice Certificate in Oregon?
Oregon tends to be extremely progressive in the field of criminal justice, giving you a great reason to explore career options in this state. Oregon has passed many celebrated criminal justice measures, including a "ban the box" initiative and a law that allows records to be expunged three years after a drug-related sentence if an offender does not have any further offenses (Street Roots, 2016).
The path to a new career often starts with education and finding out which training programs fit your skills.
Begin by contacting criminal justice certificate programs on the list below.
What Kind of Criminal Justice Certificates are Available in Oregon?
If you decide to earn a technical certificate, you may benefit from relaxed admissions requirements and job-related training that is directly relevant to your chosen career path. With this type of training, you may spend quite a bit of time getting hands-on experience while mastering the theory of your area of focus.
Legal Assistant Technical Certificate Requirements (35 credits)
- Get introduced to the litigation process in Ohio and find out what the responsibilities of a paralegal are at each step.
- Legal Software
- Get hands-on experience working with different types of legal software.
- Legal Office Management
- Discover what it takes to effectively manage a legal office and reduce the workload of your supervising lawyers.
- Applied Legal Research
- Through practical experience, find out how to find sources, verify their authenticity, and conduct research that can be used for a variety of purposes.
Law Enforcement Technical Certificate Requirements (32 credits)
- Survey of the Criminal Justice System
- This class gives students a broad introduction to the criminal justice industry and helps you understand how law enforcement officers fit into this field.
- Explore the causes of criminal activity and the ways in which criminal justice professionals may actively reduce crime rates in Oregon.
- Criminal Investigation
- Learn how to conduct a criminal investigation that provides victims and law enforcement professionals with clear answers.
- Crisis Intervention
- Learn how to intervene during a crisis and de-escalate the situation. These skills are particularly important when working with people who may struggle with mental health issues.
Corrections Technical Certificate Requirements (47 credits)
- Corrections Casework
- Explore the full range of services that prisoners receive while in a correctional facility and learn how their cases are monitored throughout their stay.
- Criminal Justice and Corrections
- This class looks at how criminal justice and corrections work together to keep criminals off the street and encourage rehabilitation as a solution to crime rates.
- Restorative Justice
- In this class, learn the difference between restorative justice and punitive justice before learning why restorative justice is becoming more popular across the country.
- Interviewing Theory and Technique
- Students in this class find out how to interview prisoners and get information that can be used in reports or inquiries.
What Can I Do With a Criminal Justice Certificate in Oregon?
Across the board, the job outlook for criminal justice professionals in Oregon is stable. Depending on which type of criminal justice diploma you get, you may qualify for different job titles and openings. Between 2014 and 2024, O*Net anticipates a 16% boost in paralegal job openings and a 4% increase in job openings for police officers and correctional officers (2016).
Average salaries in Oregon are generally slightly higher than those reported in neighboring states. The average income for a paralegal is $54,180 per year (Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2016). Police officers bring in an average of $65,890 annually, while correctional officers report a mean income of $55,030 per year (BLS, 2016).
This is the time to start working toward your chosen career.
Explore your options now reaching out to criminal justice programs in Oregon.
Online programs may not be available in all areas
Certificate - Basic Corrections, Certificate - Basic Law Enforcement, Certificate - Juvenile Corrections, Certificate - Private Security
Certificate - Corrections, Certificate - Crime Analysis
Juvenile Corrections Certificate - Criminal Justice
Certificate - Corrections, Certificate - Criminal Justice
Certificate - Human Services: Juvenile Corrections Program
Certificate - Juvenile Corrections
Certificate - Corrections, Certificate - Juvenile Corrections, Certificate - Paralegal
Certificate - Juvenile Corrections
Diploma - Court Reporting
Certificate - Criminal Justice
Certificate - Homeland Security and Community Preparedness