Why Should I Get a Criminal Justice Certificate in Ohio?
Perhaps you have always been interested in the field of criminal justice, but aren't ready to spend two-four years in school before earning an income.
If you are looking for a way to start working in this fast-paced field in one year or less, criminal justice certification can help you get the education you need.
When you take the next step in your education, you become part of an industry that affects every person in Ohio. You can advocate for the people in your community and ensure that they are kept as safe as possible. You may also stay up-to-date on changing legislation, such as a newly proposed law in Ohio that would lessen penalties for some sex offenders (Dayton Daily News, 2016).
No matter where you live in Ohio, you may have several options to consider as you prepare for the next stage of your education.
Use the list of schools below to contact criminal justice programs near you.
What Kind of Criminal Justice Certificates are Available in Ohio?
As a new student, you may be interested in earning a technical certificate. Technical certificates often last one year or less, and some can even be completed in one semester.
Court Reporting Technical Certificate Requirements (46 credits)
- Editing Legal Documents
- This class covers the procedure for legally and appropriately editing legal documents to reflect new information or changes in transcription.
- Realtime Theory
- Build an understanding of the basic theories of realtime reporting.
- Legal Terminology
- In this class, students learn how to identify and properly use legal terminology while reporting in a courtroom setting.
- Court Procedures
- This class covers the standards of Ohio courtrooms and ensures that you can fulfill your reporting duties without disturbing the legal process.
Law Enforcement Technical Certificate Requirements (40 credits)
- Ohio Law
- Explore Ohio law and find out how it influences your career in law enforcement.
- Firearms Fundamentals and Safety Procedures
- This hands-on class shows you how to safely and legally use, store, and handle firearms.
- Basics of Patrolling
- Find out what your responsibilities are when you are on patrol and how you can use this time to keep your community safe.
- Traffic Stops and Management
- In this course, learn how to conduct traffic stops in a way that keeps roads safe and protects you.
Corrections Officer Technical Certificate Requirements (36 credits)
- Incarceration Issues
- Discover issues in the current incarceration system and how this system may change in coming years.
- Crisis Recognition and Referral
- Learn how to recognize crisis situations and get prisoners or suspects the help they need.
- Probation and Parole
- Probation and parole, the two main goals of the correctional system, are thoroughly explored in this core class.
- Constitutional, Criminal, and Civil Law
- Learn about the different types of law used in law enforcement and what your responsibilities are for enforcing the laws as a correctional officer.
What Can I Do With a Criminal Justice Certificate in Ohio?
Upon completing your court reporting training, you may be ready to become a certified court reporter in Ohio. The average salary in this specialty is $47,830 per year (Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2016). Between 2014 and 2024, job openings for court reporters may increase 5% in Ohio (O*Net, 2016).
With training at a local police academy, you may jump into the exciting field of law enforcement. Ohio police officers earn an average salary of $56,090 per year (BLS, 2016). O*Net anticipates a 4% increase in job openings by 2024 (2016).
With a certificate in correctional studies, you may be ready to start working in a local jail or prison. An average income of $41,890 per year is reported for Ohio correctional officers (BLS, 2016). You may see job openings swell 2% by 2024 (O*Net, 2016).
The sooner you begin your certificate in criminal justice, the sooner you can start building your career. Find out how you can earn a criminal justice degree in Ohio.
Start by contacting OH criminal justice schools today.
Online programs may not be available in all areas
Certificate of Completion - Law Enforcement, Certificate of Completion - Public Safety
Certificate - Cyber Security
Certificate - Legal Office Assistant, Certificate - Paralegal
Paralegal Studies Certificate (online)
Certificate - Basic Peace Officer Training, Certificate - Corrections Officer, Certificate - Public Safety
Certificate - Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy
Certificate - Basic Police Academy, Certificate - Law Enforcement Institute, Tech Prep program - Criminal Justice
Certificate - Crime Scene Investigation
Certificate - Basic Police Academy - Ohio Peace Officer Training
Certificate - Criminal Justice, Certificate - Paralegal
Certificate - Paralegal
Certificate - Basic Peace Officer Academy, Certificate - Judicial Reporting Scopist, Departmental Certificate - Judicial Reporting Scopist
Certificate - Paralegal
Certificate - Counter-Terror Training Unit, Certificate - EMT - Basic, Certificate - EMT - Paramedic, Certificate - Fraud Examination, Certificate - Paralegal, Certificate - Police Academy
Certificate - Court Reporting Technologies, Professional Certificate - Paralegal Studies
Certificate - Law Enforcement Academy
Career & Technical Certificate - Criminal Justice - Law Enforcement, Certificate - Police Officer Training Academy - Basic
Certificate - Emergency Telecommunicator, Certificate - Police Academy
Certificate - Criminal Justice
Diploma - Great Oaks Security Academy, Diploma - Law Enforcement
Certificate - Basic Peace Officer Training, Certificate - Nurse Paralegal
Certificate - Computer Forensics and Information Security
Certificate - Criminal Justice, Certificate - Cyber Crime Investigation, Certificate - Homeland Security, Certificate of Achievement - Legal Interpretation and Translation, Certificate of Achievement - Legal Interpretation, Certificate of Achievement - Paralegal Studies, Diploma - Criminal Justice, Graduate Certificate - Emergency Planning
Certificate of Proficiency - Police Science, Technical Certificate - Computer and Digital Forensics
Certificate - Law Enforcement - Peace Officer
Certificate - Criminal Justice, Certificate - Legal Office Assistant
Career Training - Criminal Justice
Certificate - Forensic Science
Graduate Certificate in Homeland Security (online)
Certificate - Corrections, Certificate - Homeland Security, Certificate - Law Enforcement
Certificate - Private Security
Certificate - Legal Assisting Technology
Certificate - Scopist
Certificate - Broadcast Captioning, Certificate - Court Reporting
Certificate - Administrative and National Security Policy, Certificate - Community-Based Corrections, Certificate - Criminal Justice Administration - Administrative, Certificate - Disaster Management, Certificate - Information Assurance, Certificate - Juvenile Justice, Certificate - Legal Courts, Certificate - Policing, Certificate - Rehabilitation/counseling, Graduate Certificate - Emergency and Disaster Management
Certificate - Criminal Justice Administration, Certificate - Criminal Justice Juvenile Corrections
Professional Certificate - Forensics
Certificate - Criminal Justice Administration, Certificate - Juvenile Corrections
Diploma - Paralegal
Certificate - Corrections, Certificate - Criminal Justice