Why Should I Get a Criminal Justice Certificate in Georgia?
The criminal justice industry has more research behind it than it ever has before, leading to the rapid development and improvement of programs used throughout the country.
Georgia once employed some of the harshest criminal justice standards in the country, imposing long incarceration sentences and fines on offenders. As a result, the prison population ballooned and recidivism rates soared.
Georgia’s current criminal justice system has little in common with the one it had just 10 years ago. A huge sweep of criminal justice reform was praised widely by experts (Washington Times, 2016). Experts indicate that changes in Georgia laws have saved lives and money. Outcomes include lower recidivism rates, a smaller prison population, and more effective rehabilitation outcomes.
With criminal justice becoming more efficient all the time, this is a great time to earn a criminal justice certificate.
Get in touch with Georgia programs below to find out more!
What Kind of Criminal Justice Certificates are Available in Georgia?
There are many types of certificates you can earn as a Georgia student. Certificates are short-term programs that are meant to provide you with usable workplace skills. For that reason, they tend to be targeted toward specific career paths and job titles.
Earning a certificate in criminal justice may be a time-saving option if you know which career path you’d like to pursue after graduation. Technical certificates, including those most of the certificates listed below, do not require prior work experience in this field or postsecondary education.
Graduate certificates require a Master’s degree in a related field.
Law Enforcement Technical Certificate Requirements 36 credits
- Basic Law Enforcement Health and Life Safety
- In this course, students learn how to protect themselves while working in law enforcement. They also learn about common health ailments in this industry and how they can maintain their physical health.
- Basic Law Enforcement Firearms Training
- Instructors teach students how to safely and effectively use different types of firearms, primarily with the intent to disarm or injure, rather than kill.
- Methods of Criminal Investigation
- Find out how to investigate crimes, interview witnesses and suspects, and act on tips from witnesses or evidence.
- Criminal Procedure
- This class explores the criminal process in Georgia to ensure that students stay within legal bounds at all times.
- Police Traffic Control
- Learn the essentials of traffic stops and traffic management.
Paralegal Technical Certificate Requirements 27 credits
- Introduction to Law
- Learn about federal law and Georgia law. This course includes an overview of criminal law and civil law.
- Contract Law
- Find out what types of contract law make up the majority of court cases and how lawyers prepare for contract law cases.
- Civil Litigation
- Discover the civil litigation process, from filing a suit to getting a ruling from the judge. You may also learn about your role as a paralegal and how you can help the supervising lawyer in a case.
- Legal Research and Writing
- This course helps students build a solid foundation of legal research and documentation. You may learn how to take notes, prepare research for lawyers, and create professional documents and filings.
Court Reporting Technical Certificate Requirements 80 credits
- Machine Shorthand Theory
- Students can find out how to use shorthand to dramatically cut down the amount of typing they do while reporting on cases.
- Realtime Reporting
- This course prepares you to keep up with the fast-paced courtroom environment, get the necessary information, and report on it accurately and swiftly.
- Legal Terminology
- Master important legal terms that you’ll need to use frequently and appropriately.
- Court Reporting Procedures
- Instructors cover specific expectations in courtrooms and teach procedures for reporting on cases without disturbing ongoing cases.
Emergency Management Graduate Certificate Requirements 40 credits
- Understanding Terrorism and Homeland Security
- Students take a multidisciplinary look at terrorism, its causes, and effective responses to attacks.
- Introduction to Disaster Management
- This course delves into the four phases of a disaster, the principles of emergency management, and the terminology used in this field.
- Problems in Disaster Management
- Find out more about the common challenges and issues that arise in this field, as well as the techniques you can use to overcome them.
- International Conflict
- Learn about threats and issues that may arise as the result of international conflict.
What Can I Do With a Criminal Justice Certificate in Georgia?
Criminal justice programs in Georgia may lay the groundwork for many different career paths. You may get the boost you need from an internship or practicum course that gives you practical work experience and industry connections.
Across the board, the job outlook for criminal justice professionals is stable. By 2024, job openings for court reporters may swell 8% in Georgia (O*Net, 2016). O*Net anticipates a 12% increase in job openings for paralegals and police officers during this time (2016).
Salaries in Georgia are similar to what you may find in other southern states. On average, court reporters earn $46,840 per year in Georgia (Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2016). The average annual income for a paralegal is $53,830 (BLS, 2016). Police officers claim an average income of $39,510 per year (BLS, 2016).
Clearly, certificate-level jobs run the full range of work settings, schedules, and demands. As a court reporter, you may keep the same hours as local courts. You may spend most of your time in the courtroom, using your post-court time to check your notes and double-check your reporting.
Paralegals work in law offices all over Georgia, typically enjoying fairly regular schedules and keeping up with the needs of their supervising lawyers. As a police officer, you should be ready to work a full range of shifts and hours, including weekends, holidays, and nights.
Your criminal justice career could start right now when you contact schools near you.
Reach out to criminal justice certificate programs in Georgia to find the right option for you.
Online programs may not be available in all areas
Certificate - Criminal Justice Specialist, Diploma - Criminal Justice Technology
Certificate - Cyber Security Institute
Certificate - Paralegal Fundamental Technical
Diploma - Criminal Justice Technology, Technical Certificate - Legal Office Assistant
Certificate - Law Enforcement Management, Certificate - Law Enforcement Practitioner
Certificate - Court Reporting
Diploma - Criminal Justice Technology
Certificate - Criminal Justice Supervisor, Certificate - Juvenile Justice Specialist, Diploma - Criminal Justice Technology, Diploma - Criminal Justice, Diploma - Emergency Management, Diploma - Homeland Security
Certificate - Paralegal
Certificate - Criminal Justice
Certificate - Homeland Security, Certificate - Paralegal Studies, Certificate - Paralegal
Diploma - Criminal Justice Technology (online), Technical Certificate of Credit - Criminal Justice Specialist
Certificate - Crime Scene Investigation, Certificate - Criminal Justice Records Tech, Certificate - Criminal Justice/Safety Services, Diploma - Criminal Justice Technology
Certificate - Legal Administrative Assistant, Diploma - Criminal Justice Technology, Diploma - Information Security Specialist, Technical Certificate of Credit - Basic Law Enforcement, Technical Certificate of Credit - Crime Scene Technician, Technical Certificate of Credit - Criminal Justice Technology, Technical Certificate of Credit - Information Security Specialist
Graduate Certificate - Disaster Management
Certificate - Cyber Crime Specialist, Diploma - Criminal Justice Technology
Certificate - Court Reporting, Certificate - Legal Assistant
Graduate Certificate - Information Security and Assurance
Certificate - Criminal Justice Specialist (online), Certificate - Criminal Justice Technician (online), Diploma - Criminal Justice Technician (online)
Certificate - Criminal Justice
Technical Certificate - Advanced Legal Assistant, Technical Certificate - Legal Assistant, Technical Certificate - Paralegal Fundamentals
Certificate - Law Enforcement, Diploma - Criminal Justice Technology
Diploma - Criminal Justice
Diploma - Criminal Justice Technology, Technical Certificate of Credit - Criminal Justice Supervisor, Technical Certificate of Credit - Criminal Justice Technician
Certificate - Basic Law Enforcement, Certificate - Criminal Justice Specialist, Diploma - Criminal Justice Technology, Diploma - Forensic Science Technology
Diploma - Criminal Justice
Diploma - Criminal Justice, Technical Certificate of Credit - Basic Law Enforcement Training
Certificate - Criminal Justice, Diploma - Criminal Justice
Diploma - Criminal Justice Technology, Diploma - Forensic Science Technology
Certificate - Law Enforcement, Diploma - Criminal Justice (online)
Certificate - Law Enforcement Technician, Diploma - Criminal Justice Technology
Certificate - Crime Scene Investigation, Certificate - Criminal Justice Records Tech, Certificate - Criminal Justice Technician, Certificate - Law Enforcement Technician, Certificate - Public Safety, Diploma - Criminal Justice, Professional Certificate - Crime Scene Investigation Technician, Professional Certificate - Criminal Justice Records Technician, Professional Certificate - Criminal Justice Technician, Professional Certificate - Law Enforcement Technician, Professional Certificate - Public Safety
Diploma - Criminal Justice Technology